Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Returning to planet earth: renewed, rejuvenated and refreshed:



I think I was getting trapped in a bitter, downward spiral of self-obsession, self-loathing and profound frustration. Hence the fact that I have not written anything here for a few weeks - I was beyond ranting, I was lost and now I am found (as they say). Actually, that's a bit of a lie - I did write a couple of rants but they were so abusive and cruel that I decided not to post them: don't you just love it when reason and common-sense prevail and spoil all the fun!

So who/what shook me out of my navel-gazing? It was the refreshing company of my genius brother and his amazing ability to look beyond his own selfish wants and desires, towards the greater good of humanity, science and progress. A good humanist, global citizen, visionary and a damn good person. I had a great weekend in Paris to rest and reflect and have come back with the drive and determination I had lost for a while... My aims to make this world a better place are renewed!

So, what better than an evening with Richard Dawkins (http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins) Went along to one of his talks, dragging the taller half away from his playstation kicking and screaming and I know that he was pleasantly surprised. The guy is just so right on so many levels - and when one of the audience members begun 'I agree with a lot of what you said, I am a scientist and a Christian', Dawkins handled it so beautifully (unlike the audible groans, tuts and rolling eye-balls in our row!).

So, having made contact with two brilliant people in the last week I have managed to get some perspective... I am going to pick my fights more carefully, focus more effectively, work more diligently and NO MORE F***ING COMPUTER GAMES....

The world is back in sight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home